The Onyx Apartments, Camley Street – A prestigious development of 1, 2 and 3-bed apartments situated on the Regents Canal in King’s Cross.
This 117-apartment Taylor Wimpey Central London development delivers a collection of high-end apartments with a range of facilities, such as the communal roof-top garden overlooking central London.
Initially, we went through a period of pre-contract design engagement with Powell Dobson to overcome some coordination challenges with surrounding trades. We were then appointed by the main contractor, United Living, for the supply and install of the internal and external balustrade requirements. Our scope of works included:
- B40 frameless glass balustrades to the balconies, winter gardens and roof terraces. This included tinted glass in some areas.
- B20 post and opaque glass privacy screens.
- B40 frameless glass balustrades to the internal mezzanine areas in the commercial units.
- B20 stainless steel post and handrails down the external ramps and steps
- Ground floor external vertical bar railing balustrade
- B20 post and glass balustrades to the front of house stairs.
- Post and vertical bar railing balustrade to main access stairs.
- Other metalwork items, including a plant enclosure and cat ladders.
Challenging coordination detail with surrounding trades
For the external balustrades to the landscape parapet walls, the balustrade base fixing had to coordinate with the construction of the brick wall and then the stone copings to be installed around the balustrade posts. Our design team developed a fixing detail to extend through the copings and to be side fixed onto the internal concrete upstand within the wall.
Bespoke secondary steelwork
To accommodate the need for the roof terrace balustrade to be offset from the wall and the channel to be flush with the top of the wall coping, we designed a bespoke secondary steel bracket to mount the balustrade channel to. This was accompanied with some 2nd fix powder coated aluminium trims to provide a smart finish to the base fixing.